Tuesday, July 3, 2012

How DOES one become a Juggernaut, anyway?

First off, you need to make sure that you've read the title correctly and realize that this has nothing to do with juggalos. At all. Or Insane Clown Posse. It's music to some, and cosplay for some of their fans, but neither of those things has anything at all to do with my experiment.

The premise of my workout is simple, but it's only that: a premise. There's no hard fact or per-established case evidence that what I'm doing is any better than any other weightlifting workout out there at all. What I'm doing is taking something that works well (THT 4.0 HIT from Mark McManus's awesome MuscleHack doctrine) and just adding piles of extra work to it. Well, there's a bit more to it than just that.

The first set consists of massive amounts of weight, 4-6 reps (adding weight and resetting after 6 successful reps). This is largely regarded as a "mass-building" set, geared more toward bulking up than adding pure, lean muscle. I find that the intense weight moved (after a warm-up set of 6-10 reps, 33-40% of my first weight) helps to really get the blood "boiling" and gets the muscle prepped for a serious beating.

The second and third sets are done in near-typical MuscleHack fashion. These sets are drop-sets of -10% and -10% again, 6-8 reps. This rep range is more in keeping with strict MuscleHack philosophy, and to a lesser extent classic bodybuilding doctrines.

Cardio is sporadic and fun: ball hockey, biking, hiking, rock climbing (bouldering). Anything non-regimented. I like fun cardio and hate anything that's rigid or structured for cardio. This keeps a nice balance between my workouts and my "down time", which includes cardio.

Eating: I eat. A lot. Lots of white and red meats, lots of all-natural peanut butter on whole-wheat toast. Whole grains are my fave carb, and the odd white pasta makes it in there too at times. Weekends are largely carb-up days (normally Saturdays).Trying to get more greens going, along with my cardio, to cut down about 1-1.5% BF or so... I'm just over 10% currrently (likely 11), but was a bit higher a few weeks ago. It's remarkable what a few months of little-to-no exercise can do to you.

More to come as I go along.

Train hard and lift smart, I always say. Even if your motivation is a mythical false deity who exists only to create avatars of pure destruction.


No comments:

Post a Comment