Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Chest and triceps day done. Wow.

OK guys, if you haven't put serious thought into Mark McManus's THT 2.0 Refix, DO SO NOW.

Last night's chest and triceps workout was EPIC.To be perfectly honest, I didn't even do it completely as proscribed. I love doing cabled skullcrushers, far more so than barbell skullcrushers. So, when the dual-stack cabled stations were all busy, I decided to go hit my triceps with behind-the-head seated tricep extensions. Given the hit I gave my triceps last night (they looked like they were going to separate and form their own human), I feel absolutely no shame whatsoever in having done this.

I chased 3 sets of extensions with the as-shown 3 sets of standing cabled tricep pushdowns. I could barely bang out my last set of pushdowns @ 100 lbs. THAT is how hard it hits you.

Also, my opening bench last night was 180lbs x 9 reps. I might have been able to get one more rep in, but my old phobias came back so I didn't press it. Plus, I didn't want any cheat sets. I think I might be right because my second set was 140lbs x 10. I figure that puts my 1RM (1 rep max) around 250lbs.

In retrospect, I've NEVER benched so much for so many reps in my life. That's a cold, hard fact.

What are the lessons learned here?

  • You can safely work out for well over a year, almost continuously, with no loss in progression (if you're me). Your mileage may vary.
  • Moving between Mark's different programs (THT 2.0, THT HIT 3.1, THT Volume 3.1, THT 2.0 Refix) seems to trigger quite a bit of growth while still keeping your body guessing.
  • There don't appear to be any "flat spots" in Mark's programs - no bad weeks / months of little to no progression (or worsre). Eat well, lift right, stay hydrated and you'll do just fine.
So, I'm going to keep moving with THT 2.0 Refix and see where it takes me. Something tells me I'm going to enjoy the trip. :)

Oh, and I've given up caffeinated coffee so that I can start up on my creatine intake. Hooboy. So far this morning, so good. Just had my breakfast (low-sugar instant oatmeal) and I'm heading to get a glass of water. I still haven't decided if I'll partake of some decaffeinated coffee yet. That'll be a gametime decision as the day wears on.

No comments:

Post a Comment